Friday, February 22, 2013

Christ's Church on Christ's Mission - Part 1

A friend once remarked to me, when visiting after completing boot camp in the military, that the hardest lesson he had to learn was that he was no longer responsible merely for himself to make sure he had completed the tasks personally assigned to him. Now he was responsible for his whole company to make sure that they all had completed the tasks assigned to the company. He was no longer a lone man, but part of a body, working together for a common goal.

I had similar epiphanies when the Lord showed me that salvation is not all about me. Yes, I knew (in theory, at least) that our salvation is "soli Del gloria," for God's glory alone. However, I was blind to some important truths.

  1. I'm not alone, but God has saved others, too; and he didn't save me merely for my own good, but that I might serve his body. Our physical hand does not serve itself alone, but feeds, protects, washes, nurses, and scratches the whole body. (In fact, it's very hard for one hand to do anything for itself; and of course it can do nothing if separated from the body.) This is Christ's community. 
  2. I'm not alone, but there is a world full of my brothers & sisters (by nature) who are still under the curse; and God did not inundate me with his grace in Christ for merely my own personal blessing, but that the super-abundance of his blessing might overflow me to reach "all families of the earth" (Genesis 12.1-3). And all of this is to the end that God in Christ is known, loved & worshiped. This is Christ's mission.
  3. Salvation is not Jesus-and-ME-together-forever, but Jesus-took-US-to-be-his-bride.Nevertheless, my tendency is still to try to serve alone (i.e., without other people, though I wouldn't think of trying to without the Spirit). This is where a couple of dear brothers have been very helpful in showing me. It is easy for some of us to run ahead alone, rather than slowing down to make sure others are coming with us & laboring with us. I'm sure there's sin in it for me sometimes, romanticizing my situation as if I'm standing alone like a prophet of old with no support, not even from God's people. However, we are not called to labor as individuals, but as a body.
More will be posted in Part 2 of "Christ's Church on Christ's Mission."

Michael and Erin Pfleegor are members of Rockport Baptist Church in Arnold, Missouri and are preparing their family to serve in Suriname, South America. We invite you to pray for them, and consider perhaps contacting us at office@psalm67missions.net if you would like to invite The Pfleegor Family to your congregation, Sunday School class, small group, or other setting to present their ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment