Sunday, July 1, 2012

Report from the Border with Billy Jackson

I recently wrote an e-mail to Billy Jackson, Summer Missions Intern, and asked him to write up a short post on some "things learned" this summer and perhaps some ways that we can be praying for him. Here is his response:

Probably the number one thing I've learned is that God is always faithful through both small and big things. He is faithful not only to provide provisions but also to help you through conflict, to teach us his gospel and truth and he is faithful to use us to teach others as we are faithful in prayer and in the reading of his word.

I guess it is part of human nature to doubt as we see the next wave approaching us. It always looks bigger than the last one. And I think part of this is a subconscious knowing that we can't make this work out right no matter how hard we try, and that even as we are trying... things are messing up. Most of the time its only after the wave has passed that we see resolution and we're like "ahh, thats so nice how that work out..." and then we turn around and see the next wave coming and we're like "AHH! WHat's going to happen now!!??" "How can this be good?"

But God IS faithful. The big thing for me is to keep trusting him even through the situation, and to make sure I am working in his word (staying in it) and committing myself to prayer. The thing is it sound so simple but it can be hard sometimes. Sometimes you have to come up with strategies for staying alert as you read (and not falling asleep!). Or come up with something to help direct your prayers so you don't float around and then end up daydreaming.

Then probably the second thing I'd list as something I've learned is that it is ok and probably good to feel you total helplessness and dependence on God for anything good to happen or for you to even continue on in a good way. Actually this tends to make you pray with earnestness and to search the scriptures for something that will help you, something that you feel is his word to you (and then you're like "Wow! This is Awesome! I can teach this to the kids on Sunday!")

It's after the first week or two when you start to feel that you might actually have it together now... that you are in real danger. While you are on the cliff with the rope attached to the harness, yeah its scary, but you are safe. It's when you start to feel that you don't need the rope that you are in real danger and need to wake up to your situation. I've actually been teaching the boys here at the Bible studies about the need for the Holy Spirit, first to be born again as Jesus tells Nicodemus, and then second we need the Holy Spirit just to stay in the battle against the flesh and against the devil. We looked at Galatians 5:16-25 about the difference between the flesh and the Spirit. We looked at Ephesians 6 about what we need for this spiritual warfare. This Sunday we are going to look at Ephesians 2. I've already told some of the boys to read it so they have a head start.

So with all this I should be ready to follow the Lord faithfully into any situation without doubting, firmly grounded in his word, without any pride in my own strength (which doesn't actually exist), Right? heh heh... Well I'm still learning like everyone else.

Please pray that I would continue to grow in the power of the Holy Spirit, in humbleness so that I clearly see my need for the Holy Spirit, and in my dedication to the Word of God and to prayer that I may be able to stand against the Devil and his schemes and that I may bear fruit in keeping with repentance.

Pray for the Valley! We want to see people know Christ and join the ranks of willing solders going forth. I especially want to see fruit in these kids that we've been teaching. I am satisfied that God will bring about his glory in their lives but I will not stop sharing the gospel with them while I still can.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment